Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

Well, I've been taking sulfamethoxazole for an abscess for

Customer Question

Well, I've been taking sulfamethoxazole for an abscess for about a week and a half now and I've just today developed some red itchy bumps everywhere.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the bumps better or worse?
Customer: Well, like I said I've been taking the medication for about a week and a half (since last Monday) but today I just started getting bumps everywhere. Nothing has seemed to affect the bumps
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm allergic to penicillin
Category: Health
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld replied 9 months ago.

Please be advised that sulfamethoxazole and other sulfonamide drugs are capable of provoking severe drug reactions, including erythema multiforme and Stevens Johnson syndrome. The onset of a pruritic rash is strong evidence that you are experiencing a drug reaction from your sulfamethoxazole.

You should discontinue taking your medication immediately and contact your prescribing doctor for guidance in revision of your antibiotic therapy.

Hope this helps...