A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I believe I have the flu. I have not been able to keep

Customer Question

Hi Doctor Wilson, I believe I have the flu. I have not been able to keep anything in my stomach since saturday afternoon. The only thing I seem to keep down is water. When should I go in? im really worried that I am not able to keep anything down
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: This has been happening since Saturday afternoon. I have been vomiting everything up except water
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Flu is a respiratory illness with high fever, coughing, aches and pains all over. It doesn't usually involve digestive symptoms.

What you are describing sounds more like viral gastroenteritis. Usually it lasts anywhere from 24 hours to 5-6 days and the body clears it on its own. It isn't necessary to eat for 2-3 days, but do try to sip broth, water, Gatorade, etc. - just a sip every few minutes usually prevents it from triggering a reflex to vomit it back up like a whole glassful of liquid might. When you are able to eat, try to add applesauce, bananas, boiled white rice or white potato, and plain toast just a little at a time. Sipping small amounts will be enough to keep you hydrated.

Please let me know what additional questions you have about this.