Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn
88055251

I woke up with my left arm and breast hurting last night and

Customer Question

I woke up with my left arm and breast hurting last night and then I took a baby aspirin and when I got up this morning it was gone. This has happened before.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Have you had any testing for this symptom?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have health insurance and I know that there is the possibility of heart issues, angina, etc., but nothing I can afford to test for right now. Does this sound like angina? Could a clogged artery cause this type of occurrence? Could the weight of my breast slumping over cause this pain When I lay on my right side?

Angina is the pain caused when the heart muscle is deprived of normal blood flow. That can be from clogged arteries. It needs to be evaluated at an ER to see how serious it is.

The weight of your breast cannot cause this kind of pain or any woman with a 38DDD would have it most nights.

Chest pain can be from many other things from indigestion to a full blown heart attack. Symptoms in women aren't usually the same as in men (i.e. an elephant sitting on the chest).

You could check with a free clinic tomorrow. They will see people who don't have insurance, usually on a sliding scale fee basis. Here is a link to where you will find some free clinics.

http://www.nafcclinics.org/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think it might just be that I sometimes sleep wrong on my arm? Do you think it warrants a visit to the doctor? How would they know without extensive testing? Thank you

There is no way to know without testing if it is heart related - or if it isn't. Certainly lying wrong can make any body part hurt. However, there's no way to know if that is what it is.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

You're so very welcome. I hope you will have a healthy and happy 2017.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To tell the truth, I expected more from this than a suggestion to see another health professional. The implication on the site was that an MD would be responding, no offense to you. I have a niece that is an NP, with whom I could have consulted. I had hoped to be given an array of possibilities to ease my mind. Possibilities that I could not have obtained from WebMD. I am very capable of googling random answers and was hoping for something, I don't know, deeper. I actually wanted to speak to a doctor, again no offense to you. I do thank you for your time but feel that this was a waste of money for me as I have no peace of mind as a result of your consultation.

"..No offense to you..." Well, offense taken, multiple times.

Some options to consider for chest pain are:

• heart attack
  • percarditis
  • angina
  • aortic dissection
  • costochondritis
  • rib injury
  • muscular chest pain (overextension, bruising, exercise, even fibromyalgia)
  • pulmonary embolism
  • pulmonary hypertension
  • pleurisy
  • COPD
  • heartburn
  • gallbladder issues (stones, colic)
  • pancreatic inflammation
  • panic attack (we see a lot more of these in the ER than we see heart attacks)

These are just a few of the possible causes. I really don't see how knowing these could help give you peace of mind. The bot***** *****ne is that anyone with chest pain needs to be evaluated in person for an ecg and chest xray. You can obtain that help from any of the local free clinics in the link I sent you.

I'm sorry you misunderstood and thought that an MD would be responding ["...The implication on the site was that an MD would be responding..."] There is no such statement made. We even have a category where ONLY MDs and DOs can respond. You might have placed your question there. You also could have asked for an MD at the very beginning which would have saved my time as well as perhaps making you more comfortable. Although an MD would have told you exactly the same thing.

I will opt out since I don't want a negative rating after spending all this time helping you.

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA, i see that you have requested an opinion from an MD. However i would tend to agree with the previous expert's opinion. The presence of left side chest pain and arm pain is highly suspicious of cardiac disease, any chest pain of this sort should be evaluated for heart disease until proven otherwise and a EKG is necessary to rule this out. Your age and the history of these episodes occurring in the past as well, all warrant an evaluation with an EKG, echocardiogram and if necessary, maybe even a stress test. Once the cardiac issue has been ruled out then we can consider muscular spasms, costochondritis and other issues which may cause this sort of pain.

I realize this may not be what you wanted to hear but it would be dishonest of me not to give you my honest opinion. Best of luck, I hope you have great 2017.

Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos M.D., board certified ObGyn. I can help as I've been at this stuff for many years. Your age increases the possibility of a heart issue but are you overweight, have a family history of heart disease or high blood pressure, high cholesterol or please don't tell me you're diabetic.
You can strain your arm when sleeping and irritate the breast. Breast discomfort and chest pain aren't much alike. You should be able to tell if the breast is what hurts or your chest wall below the breast. Cardiac pain also involves sweating when you normally wouldn't have a reason for sweating. More of a cold sweat.