Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am on bactrum for infection in chest tissue. Nipple soar,

Customer Question
raised red bump under arm...
I am on bactrum for infection in chest tissue. Nipple soar, raised red bump under arm. Going on 15 days- on antibiotics 4 days. First one erupted wiht puss and blood today- new one started under other arm yesterday, tender
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: 15 days, started with very sore chest muscle. Cought hurt
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: surgery on left arm 12 weeks ago, removed tumor & bone. No treatment
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Health
1/1/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed small abscesses in the chest tissue, this is evident from the discharge of the pus and blood from the ump which burst just today. Now if you have other areas like these under the arm it is possible that those are also abscesses. in case of abscesses they would need to be drained in order for the antibiotics to truly start to work. Now surgery would be dependent on the extent of these lumps and the severity of the infection, if the infection is deep seated then surgery is necessary to debride the area and drain the pus. However if the pus is only small in amount and the lump are also small in size then it is likely that this is a superficial infection affecting the hair follicles or the skin in which case, surgical drainage is not necessary. This would determined on the basis of a simple ultrasound of the area and if needed a MRI of the area as well.

Now bactrim is certainly teh right antibiotic and it usually starts to work within 5 days of starting it and if you see no improvement after 5 days, then you will need a stronger antibiotic. The pus can be cultured to determine which is the right antibiotic, the one which will be most effective.

Now my recommendation would be to get this re evaluated for an abscess and get an ultrasound done, as i think there is a chance you may need drainage of the pus.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)