Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am 44 years old and typically have normal cycles with no

Customer Question

I am 44 years old and typically have normal cycles with no previous symptoms of menopause
JA: OK. Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: sorry clicked the wrong button. I am day 34 of my cycle. I have not had a period since 11/29/2016. I typically have a 28-29 day cycle. Do not take birth control either. Just concerned as to whether or not I may be pregnant?????
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Have you done a pregnancy test?

Are you exposed to unprotected sex?

If you are exposed to unprotected sex, a blood test is necessary in the first week of missed period to know exactly about the pregnancy. Home urine pregnancy test are not sensitive enough to detect the pregnancy hormone in the first week of missed period. Only blood test can exactly tell whether you are pregnant or not.

The other way is to wait for further 5 days and if your period does not come, you may do a home pregnancy test again, which in the second week is able to tell with reasonable certainty as pregnancy hormone is raised in urine, by this time.

Apart from pregnancy, there are other causes of missed or delayed periods also;

1) Ovarian hormone dysfunctions

2) Thyroid hormone abnormalities

3) Stress, anxiety, emotional disorders

4) Sudden weight loss or gain

5) Excessive physical activity

6) Hyperprolactinemia

Read the resource under the heading secondary amenorrhea;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/amenorrhea/DS00581/DSECTION=causes

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Wish you a very happy, prosperous, healthy and safe new year 2017.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.