Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I too am a nurse, so I know that smell of iodine. My urine

Customer Question

I too am a nurse, so I know that smell of iodine. My urine has a strong smell of iodine and its bright yellow. I want to go to the doctor but with the holiday I can't get in until at least Tuesday. Any thoughts? Oh I've had some urgency on and off, the urine is mainly clear.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Nothing new- Oxybutinin for a sweating condition for about a year, synthroid and baltrex daily
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Sorry valtrex
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the most likely possibility here is that you may have developed an infection of teh urinary tract, while a iodine like smell is not common, it can occur in bacterial infections of the urinary tract. The smell alongwith the dark yellow discoloration along with the urgency are all pointing towards an urinary tract infection. This may also cause symptoms like increased frequency, burning urination, lower abdominal pain, low back pain among others. The diagnosis would be easily made with the help of a urine analysis and urine culture and as you well know, the treatment would be with antibiotics.

Now the smell of iodine can also be due to another underlying issue such as liver issues, metabolic disorders including endocrine issues such as problems with the adrenal glands etc. Now the first step here would be a simple urine analysis, i have a feeling this is likely to be an infection more than anything else. If an infection is ruled out then we can consider other issues including kidney, liver and endocrine issues.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.