A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

MY FAMILY DR,,SAID ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO PRESCRIBE ME

Customer Question

MY FAMILY DR,,SAID ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO PRESCRIBE ME LORAZEPAM,,I TOOK IT FOR 20 RS,
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: YES,,I TRIED TO GET HER TO WRIT ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR IT ,,SHE SAID IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I TAKE VENLAFAXIN,,TRAZODONE,,HYDROCHLOROT...LEVOTHYROXIN
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: NO,,,BUT I TOOK LORAZEPAM FOR 20 YRS,,I REALLY HELPED ME WITH PANIC ATTACKS,,,JUST TOOK 1 MG,,AT NIGHT
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

It isn't illegal anywhere in the United States to prescribe Ativan (lorazepam). However, many practitioners will not write a prescription for it because it does have a potential for addiction and was only ever meant to be used for 2-3 weeks tops. Today prescribers usually write for one of the SSRI drugs that are thought to be a lot safer for long term use.

Lorazepam also has drug reactions with venlafaxine, hydrochlothiazide, and trazodone.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but please don't shoot the messenger ;-(

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
DR IQBAL SAID IT I COULD GET SOMEONE TO PRESCRIBE IT 4 ME SHE WOULDNT HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT,,

Sorry, but there seems to be a payment failure. Once that is corrected, I will be happy to speak to you on the telephone.

If you have no additional questions about this, I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way I am credited with the questions I answer.

Thanks!

If you have no more questions about this, I would appreciate a rating (preferably a "5") since Just Answer only credits us with answering questions if we get a positive rating. This costs you nothing extra.

Thanks!