Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I came down with the flu a week ago, severe chills headache

Customer Question

I came down with the flu a week ago, severe chills headache nausea severe aches in every joint plus a cough. I have also been taking 3 weeks of antibiotics as I have a sinus condition and my sinuses are infected. Now I can't sleep because of the cough and the thick phlegm. I wheeze breathing out and in and it's hard to breathe
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: I'm also on a different antibiotic now and the dr said I have croup. He prescribed prednisone and I'm taking 60mg as well as a cough suppressant with codeine. I'm not a smoker and I try to eat healthfully. I'm 52 years of age and I'm a school teacher
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been told my sinuses don't drain properly. One side is deviated and the opening is small. The other side I have a large pocket. I was hoping to get my contract before having surgery.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The headache is daily and sometimes more severe. I have washed out my nose with Neil med sinus rinse plus pulmicort for the nose to see if that helps. I have to hang my head upside down in order to blow the excess fluid out. Sometimes it helps.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I also was very sick over the summer with a sinus infection cough etc.... It lasted over a month! I need my job and I have been worried about having sinus surgery and missing school. I'm not on a permanent contract and I need this job. I also thought I had been doing well last year and when talking with the ears nose throat doc. that maybe I just needed a round of prednisone?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The idea of sinus surgery is a bit daunting as I was told by another doc(specialist) that it's not that effective if you have asthma. She felt that it is normal to have 5 sinus infections in a year.
I feel like I have asthma only when I get sick. Otherwise I am good.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Here is what I understand, you have 2 problems that may be linked.

1. Sinusitis - this may be infective or allergic

2. Asthma - This may be increased by repeated episodes of Sinusitis

To complicate matters - BOTH these conditions can be occur/ be worsened by GERD (Gastric Reflux).

Here is what I would reocmmend, Talk to your ENT about a possible trial of anti-reflux treatment for at least 1-2 months. This may help both the sinusitis and asthma.

Take long term anti- allergic medicine, this can help both sinusitis and asthma.

Finally, discuss with your doctor about how much of your sinusitis is allergic, since as correctly pointed out, surgery will not help much with an allergic sinusitis.

Hope this helps,
Warm regards

Dr Gupta, MD