How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mo Your Own Question
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 979
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in excruciating pain with a tooth ache

This answer was rated:

I'm in excruciating pain with a tooth ache

Hi Dr. Mo here.

Have you already tried ibuprofen or tylenol?

Have you tried any numbing medicine from over the counter such as Anbesol?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

You can try warm salt water gargles until you can get in to see the dentist.

If it's a cracked tooth then it will be very painful with pressure.

If it's a cavity then it will be painful with cold and temperature changes.

Sometimes trying aleve instead of ibuprofen can make a difference.

Otherwise the only over the counter medicines are those antiinflammatories and tylenol.

Can you get in to see a dentist? They can usually do a lidocaine injection to numb it temporarily.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I called my dentist haven't heard from him... can you prescribe a pain med
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I even have oxycodon 7.5 left over and that's not helping
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you there

I'm here but we cannot prescribe medications on this service.

We can give advice as to what to do but we cannot give prescription.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

There are dental pastes which look like clear putty that you can buy over the counter, place that on the the tooth and that generally will decrease the pain because it prevents any saliva or other substances getting to the tooth, the sensitive part.

Also, try the dentist back, I'm not sure why they haven't been able to get back to you, that injection would help a lot.

Or at the very least they can call something in for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise take a moment to rate my answer.

Feel free to come back anytime and ask any follow up questions with this same question.

Dr. Mo and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you