Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My mom was perscided amoxicillin 500 mg for a sinus

Customer Question

my mom was perscided amoxicillin 500 mg for a sinus infection but was blowing and coughing clear. She decided not to take the ab because she gets severe C. Diff of the colon. And has been hospitalized for it severe non-controllable diarreah. She has had a fever of 101 that came and went. Now she coughs horribly and it is green to yellow. If she chooses not to take the antibiotic will she eventually get over it with time? Esp with thanksgiving next week, i offered to make all the food and she can't taste anything right now. Thank you
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I don't know what meds she takes daily or any allergies, i just told her at least i think amoxicillin is a mellow antibiotic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: History of brain anneurism and high blood pressure
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

There is a significant chance that she may get alright without antibiotics. But ideally a nose swab and x-ray / MRI of the sinuses should be done to categorically rule out infective sinusitis. Some physician may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment of sinusitis is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; only if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/