A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have a painful, what I think is a vein running over my

Customer Question

I have a painful, what I think is a vein running over my right ribcage - it is about 5 inches long - it has been going on for 4 days but I have it felt like it was bruised. However, this swollen protruding vein has just started in the last four days
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

This is something that your doctor is going to have to look at. An inflamed, swollen vein over the rib cage is not usual at all. The inflammation usually comes from an infection (viral or bacterial) and is called phlebitis. It isn't an emergency, but you need to have it checked this week so you can get antibiotics if necessary.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Did you have additional questions you wanted to ask about this? If not, I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a “5”) since that is the only way I am credited with answering questions here. That is what makes Just Answer available 24/7.

Thanks!