A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

What question do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm confused - when starting this a GP was mentioned

I'm confused as well.

All this says is "{QUESTION}"

Already Tried: "Antibiotics x3, a&e, chest X-ray, blood tests for infection, heart disease and clots, indigestion medication"

If you want a physician to answer, I will opt out and see if there is one online.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's strande? I think so - yes, please.

"...That's strande? I think so - yes, please...."

I'm sorry, what is "strande" and what is "yes, please?"

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
34;Strange" I mean

What is strange?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That the "QUESTION" field was not populated
That is strange as I thought that was done.
Apologies if this has caused confusion
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Strande was a typo and should have been "strange"

So, what is the question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please meant GP please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do you suggest I should do with the symptom outline described...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hope this is clear now???

When you first go to Just Answer, there are rotating pictures of all experts whose credentials have been checked. That doesn't mean you will get the one who is showing that moment. Many are half way round the world and aren't even online at the time.

No, it isn't clear. There are no symptoms mentioned, only that you've had antibiotics (no mention of which ones and what for), and that you've taken indigestion medication and had blood tests and chest xrays.

Perhaps if you start at the beginning and tell me what is going on, that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm a little reluctant to keep going through everything over and over again - I'm frustrated and fed up and in pain
Within the last 4 months I've been in and out the docs and emergency department
Doxycycline, clarythromicin and can't remember the other ones for pleurisy and chest infection and as a preventive in case I have one whilst on holiday
I am 42 used to go to the gym 5 times a week, cycled 6 miles to work and back again and now I am out of breath when walking up the stairs in my house (11 steps)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in constant pain which has earned me a trip to the emergency department when I got the X-ray results back over the phone and I said to the receptionist that I need to the doc to discuss as I am still having chest pain
Obviously that triggered emergency and ecg etc was done which was clear
My chest does heart though and after all those tests for lungs and heart ( X-ray and blood test along with listening ) it is suggested that it is my gullet.

I'm sorry. I'm sure this is frustrating, but please remember you aren't going through this again and again with me. No one here has ever heard any of this before, so please be patient.

So I understand you had pleurisy and a chest infection and took antibiotics.

"... as a preventive in case I have one whilst on holiday ..." One what?

Have you been sent to a pulmonologist to see what is going on with your chest?

Did you have (and/or continue to have) a lot of coughing?

What medications are you taking right now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not a HCP but I find it difficult to understand that as the pain comes fro my chest - it hurts breathing in and out, I'm wheezing and coughing (nothing coming up)

Have you seen a pulmonologist (lung specialist)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I was on holiday I couldn't breathe and the HCP that saw me listened to my chest and said that there is a slight noise - that's why I had those
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I am due an ultrasound to check if I have gallstones
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even the nurse in A&E raised her eyebrows

Gallstones shouldn't cause wheezing or coughing, although they can cause stomach symptoms.

Wheezing and coughing can be from a number of things including asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), pulmonary edema, congestive heart failure (probably would have shown up on an ecg), bronchitis. GERD, smoking, and worst of all, lung cancer.

A lung specialist can check for these. There are also inhalers and nebulizers that can be prescribed to improve breathing. It is not unusual to have chest pain any time there is a lot of coughing. The cartilage connecting the ribs to the sternum (breastbone) can become inflamed and cause pain every time you move. You can use an anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen to help with the pain.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you - I've never had asthma, I think pulmonary edema has been checked with the bloods, never smoked
Coughing is about 3 or 5 times a day - very dry cough - nothing like I've had before where it felt like you've been in a wrestling match
I just want to know what is going on so that I can sort it )-:

I wish there were something we could do online, but testing is required to determine what is causing the cough. Asthma can start as an adult; you don't need to have had it as a child.

Allergies are always a possibility, but that requires allergy testing.

I truly wish I could tell you what it is, but your lung specialist is going to need to sort that out.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Did you require more information before clicking a rating (hopefully a "5"). This costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way I am credited (or paid anything) for my time.

Thanks!