A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I took some of my mother s sonata I wake up in middle and

Customer Question

I took some of my mother s sonata I wake up in middle and could not go back she said when this happen take a sonata I worry about drug test I work for the school system they test for drugs
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Pain pills, illegal drugs stuff like that
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No that is all I have every taken and if it is going to show up in test I will not take any more but I go to sleep and have no drug feeling next a.m
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Sonata doesn't show up in a drug test. The drug works by making someone fall asleep. It doesn't prevent them from waking up during the night. It should not be taken unless someone has at least 4 additional hours to sleep. People have driven in their sleep, walked in their sleep, etc. while taking it. It is a Schedule IV Controlled Substance (others are phentermine, Ativan, Klonopin, Tramadol, Valium). Do be aware that it is illegal to take someone else's prescription medication.

You may want to try something like melatonin (available at every drug store or big box store). It is a natural hormone that helps a person fall asleep.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~