Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What is LGB diabedies treatment? I am a veteran, just

Customer Question
What is LGB diabedies treatment? JA...
What is LGB diabedies treatment?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am a veteran, just reading about it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just insuline Agent orange reciepient
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
11/10/2016
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 1 year ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

By LGB, do you mean the surgery, laparoscopic gastric banding?

LGB can also mean a different kind of surgery, laparoscopic gastric bypass.

One of the reasons people have diabetes is obesity. Either surgical procedure limits the amount of food that the stomach can hold, forcing the person to lose weight. The speed of the weight loss varies but it isn't unusual for a person to lose 10% of body weight in as little as a couple of weeks.

Here is some more information on banding:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007388.htm

And here is more on bypass:

http://bariatric.surgery.ucsf.edu/conditions--procedures/laparoscopic-gastric-bypass.aspx

Please let me know what additional questions you have about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not know what is meant by LGB, that is why I asked you. In my 32 yeyears of studying alternative and modern medicine, while some people are overweight, thin people get diabetes too. The common belief is now inflamation. I had severe swelling 12 to 13 years after leaving Vietnam, I found this to be true of most veterans who later became diabetic. It ran rampet forseven years, then stopped. Doctors said it was closest Ra but believed that it was from chemicals related to Vietnam and agent orange. I had diabetes, however had ended dibeties was cured for two and a half months. I had knee surgery and went to the VA for a root canal because they did not wait the prescribed amount of time and got the bacterial infection and back comes the diabetes

That is curious. I've been in practice about 25 years now, and am a diabetic myself, so the subject is dear to my heart. I've never heard of someone whose diabetes came and went. That is all very puzzling. It's well known that infections increase blood glucose. Perhaps that is part of what is going on with you.

LGB (both types) is for people who are severely obese and have not been able to lose the weight in spite of sincere efforts to diet and exercise. Guidelines call for a body mass index (BMI) of at least 40 if they have no other risk factors and the BMI requirement lowers to 35 if they do have a health problem such as diabetes, sleep apnea or hypertension that could improve if they lost a significant amount of weight. To put this in perspective, a BMI of 40 would be a 6 foot tall man who weighs 295 pounds. That same man would have a BMI of 35 if he weighed 258 pounds. The top normal weight for someone 6 feet tall is 184 pounds.

Either procedure limits the amount of food that can be put into the stomach at one time. Laparoscopic gastric banding involves slipping a band around the upper part of the stomach, creating a small pouch that can hold only a tiny amount of food (typically 1-2 tablespoons of baby food at a feeding to start). There is a variation of the procedure that uses a sleeve instead of a band, and still another variation that uses a band that can be adjusted by adding or subtracting saline.

Laparoscopic gastric bypass is a more complicated procedure. It is outlined here:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/143954-technique

It generally results in more and faster weight loss.

If you aren't severely overweight, neither is indicated for diabetes treatment.

Please let me know if you need additional information about LGB.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner