How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vakul Aren Your Own Question
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4005
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Vakul Aren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having a stabbing, pulsing pain behind my right ear. It

Customer Question

I am having a stabbing, pulsing pain behind my right ear. It is very annoying & painful. should I be concerned? what could be causing it?
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: nope! I have had lower back issues recently, but that is fine today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that I can think of. I am a 6 year BC survivor & have border line high BP issues
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 8 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and i will help with your query.There are many factors involved in such pain,they include -1,Otitis media,viral or bacterial infection in the air-filled space behind theeardrum due to increased pressure due to fluid build up or inflammation.2. Mastoiditis,inflammation of mastoid bone draining the ear, 3.Swimmers ear,this occurs due to water remainig in the ear after swimming and needs treatment.4.Temporo-mandibular Joint disorders,diseases which may follow whiplash inujry or bruising of the TM joint,5.Blocked eustachian tube due to a viral or bacterial infection,6.Excessive/impacted ear wax build up.7.Swollen lymph nodes behind the ear due to infection/inflammation in the area,8. Oral problems like a Tooth abscess or tooth infection and lastly due to headaches like Ice pick headaches,tension headaches.You need to be examined by your PCP and an ENT specialist /Otonasolaryngist who can identify and treat your problem.Ruling out a brain vascular accident like a cerebrovascular leak secondary to hypertension may be needed by a CT scan .

Related Health Questions