A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

As of recently, the left side of my lower belly has been

Customer Question

As of recently, the left side of my lower belly has been having random sharp/dull ache pains. It sometimes arises when I push my right side of belly in. I also have been feeling a bit light headed and fatigued lately. I don't know if that is related but yea...
I do drink a lot of alcohol (around 8 drinks a night on average) for the last 2-3 years.
I did get a blood test done and haven't gotten results back. One thing I did do was a candida spit test into water and it clearly looks like I may have it.
Please let me know if I should be worried. I am worried about colon cancer or liver cancer/failure or disease in either of these. Or is there anything else I should be concerned about?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

There isn't much in the lower left side of the abdomen but the descending colon. You would need an abdominal ultrasound and possibly a colonoscopy to diagnose any problem there. With your alcohol intake, colon cancer is one possibility. A meta-analysis of studies shows that someone who drinks about 3.5 drinks per day has about 1.5 times the risk of developing colorectal cancer as non-drinkers.

Moderate alcohol use is considered one drink per day for a woman and up to two for a man. A "drink" is 12 ounes of beer, a 5 ounce glass of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80 proof spirits. Heavy drinking is considered more than three drinks on any one day or seven drinks per week for women, and more than four drinks on any one day or 14 drinks per week for men. It will be interesting to see the blood test results to see if the liver enzymes are elevated, as they are when alcohol causes liver damage. Here is a breakdown of the stages of liver disease:

http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/alcohol/

Please let me know what additional questions you have about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~