Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I have a throbbing pain like a nerve darting pain in my

Customer Question

hi i have a throbbing pain like a nerve darting pain in my lefte ear lobe for the past 3 to four days..what could this be
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: a little dizziness not sure about fever
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: i have thyroid overactive and cholestorol and blood pressure
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is there any redness over the ear lobe? Does the pain move to any other part of the ear or face? Any discharge from teh ear? Dizziness etc?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well from what you are describing there are a few conditions which can cause this sort of pain in the ear lobe. The ear lobe is supplied by the greater auricular nerve so it is possible that there is a local condition which is irritating the nerve and thus causing the pain. The most likely scenario here would be due to an infection in the ear lobe itself or even in the region around it. Infact in infections of the neck and teh ear canal, pain can be felt in the ear lobe. In many patients with ear infections, pain is referred to the outside due to both regions sharing a nerve supply. This would also cause fever, ear discharge or even issue slike dizziness etc. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a simple clinical examination and then would be treated with antibiotics. In the meantime simple OTC painkillers like motrin and aleve can be helpful.

if you have any ear piercings it is possible that the pain is due to the piercing being infected or even the piercing irritating the nerve.

Another less common cause of pain in this region can be due to a problem with the cranial nerves, which are the nerves which arise from the brain directly and supply a majority of face. It is possible that you could have a condition which is termed as trigeminal neuralgia especially if there is accompanying pain in the face or over the temple. This would again be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with various medications like carbamezapine.

Now i would suggest that you start using OTC motrin and aleve and schedule an appointment to see your doctor, it is likely to be an infection or even localized damage to the nerve supplying the ear lobe.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.