Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego
92736226

3 years ago I suffered with Bell's Palsy, there are no ill

Customer Question

3 years ago I suffered with Bell's Palsy, there are no ill effects or facial distortions from the Be;;'s Palsy, however, ever since the episode, my right eye drips with tears while eating and its a little cool and the wind blows, sometimes when I'm having a prolonged conversation, this is really annoying, are the any remedies are medications for this issue
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No allergies, lisinopril. cavedilol
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Past surgeries for blocked arteries, I have 6 stents also an inguinal hernia back in 2004
Category: Health
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 8 months ago.

My name is***** I'm a board certified neurologist. Please note that everything discussed on this site is for information purposes only and does not substitute a visit to a doctor. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

What you are describing is a rare complication of Bell's palsy and it is due to abnormal nerve re-growth and crossing over of signals. It is a particularly difficult disorder to treat and the most succesfull treatment is usually done by injecting botox into the nerve to reduce tearing.It does not result in total absence of tear formation by rather reduced stimulation by the nerve so that in increased tear production does not occur.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

I strive to provide excellent service. Please do not forget to leave feedback, hopefully positive as this is how we are compensated. Thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care. If you have any other questions please let me know.