Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

Thank you, What is the best thing to do for a finger tip

Customer Question

Thank you, ***** ***** the best thing to do for a finger tip that has been hit by a hammer 3 days ago and is still black & blue at the nail bed and still swollen and very sore ?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No other recent injuries, 3 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My husband is on cholesterol and statin meds. He is also a musician and needs to have the use of this finger soon.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 8 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today regarding your husband's finger tip.

The black & blue at the nail bed of finger your husband is having after being hit by a hammer 3 days ago is due to a condition called hematoma.A hematoma is a localized collection of blood outside the blood vessels usually in liquid form within the tissue.

Following will help him greatly:

Despite how they feel, hematomas are not typically cause for concern.Hematoma will resolve by itself within few days.All these above described measures will help him greatly to quickly resolve his symptoms & he can use his finger soon.

• Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of the hematoma.

• For relief from pain & swelling,he can take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh