Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I have a lump on the medial side of my left knee. When my

Customer Question

I have a lump on the medial side of my left knee. When my knee is bent for a period of time it begins to ache and the aching is gradual. From 1 to 10 the ache increases but when I extend my leg or stand up the aching sensation go's away. What do you think this could be? Thanks I appreciate any help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is the temperature raised in teh affected knee as compared to the other one? Any recent history of trauma or even in the past? Do you feel or hear a crackling sound when you straighten your knee from a bent position or vice versa?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't hear any popping or crackling in knee. I had a meniscus repair in 2003 but haven't had any issues since. I do work out but didn't notice any signs of injury during a work out sessions. I just got back from travel and sitting with bent leg it begins to ache the lump area when extended it go's away
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure on temp either

Well from what you are describing there are a few conditions which can cause symptoms like these. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed bursitis which is a condition in which there is inflammation of small fluid filled sacs inside the knee joint. These can sometimes be pushed outwards from the joint to under the skin. These bursae can be inflammed because of trauma or even an infection. In most cases this can be diagnosed on a clinical examination and a xray and if needed a MRI of the knee joint can be done as well. The treatment is with OTC anti inflammatory medications like motrin or aleve as well as topical agents like voltaren gel. If needed a steroid injection can be used which is extremely helpful.

Another cause of this can be Patellofemoral syndrome. Individuals with this condition have pain under or around the kneecap. The pain is worse with flexion or after sitting for a long period of time. The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that individuals who are experiencing this overuse injury take a break from their activities, ice the knee several times per day and evaluate the type of footwear they use. Exercises can also help to strengthen the muscles around the kneecap and relieve the pain.

ANother cause can be a baker's cyst. This cyst is an accumulation of fluid that forms behind the knee. It can be caused by herniation of knee joint capsule or the tearing of the meniscal cartilage of the knee. Sometimes the cyst may be displaced more towards the medial side and again this causes pain more on flexion of the knee joint. The treatment is with steroids and if needed surgery.

There are several other causes for pain on flexion of the knee joint with a lump such as iliotibial band syndrome etc however i would suspect the above three as they are most common ones, especially bakers cyst and bursitis. I would recommend that you start using OTC motrin and aleve for the pain right now and apply topical voltaren gel as well. But do get a xray done of teh knee joint and a MRI as well by visiting your doctor. This should be evaluated sooner rather than later.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you get a cyst on the opposite side of the lcl which would be medial? I don't have any lumps on the back side of knee. It s about as big as a ping pong ball when knee is bent.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My patella or knee cap doesn't hurt. On gradual pain of inner knee when bent

Yes you can. As i said it can be bursitis which can present on the medial aspect also it can be meniscal cyst as well especially since it appears on bending the knee. Ganglia, both intra and extra articular can also present in this manner. Extra-neural cysts are another cause which can be considered here as well.

Since your patella doesnt hurt at all then we can keep the patellofemoral syndrome down the list, but bursitis/bakers cyst/meniscal cyst should be ruled out nonetheless with the help of a clinical examination as well as a MRI. I think a MRI would provide a definitive diagnosis here.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated! :)