Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am a marathon runner who had knee surgery 4 months ago for

Customer Question

I am a marathon runner who had knee surgery 4 months ago for a medial condyle femoral fracture. It was repaired with an injection of calcium phosphate. I got in PT right away and doing well-- ahead of schedule actually. I was walking within a few weeks and started to run after 8 weeks. I started back slowly and did run/walks as well as pool running and biking as cross training. I was run/walking 13 miles for the past 4 weekends and knee felt good. I'm running slowly and doing icing and stretching. I typically run 4-5 miles twice a week and the long runs on weekends. A few weeks ago my knee started to swell at night. Last week the pain was waking me up and it's hard to bend my knee. I keep a knee wrap on it so I didn't notice hard lump around the inside of my knee near the surgery site. Not sure what steps to take next. I see my doctor for follow up at the end of November.
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: It's firm, so I'd say hard.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm 65 years old and in good health. I have been running since the 70's. I've had several bouts of shin splints about 15 years ago and a stress fracture same timeframe. Other than this, I've had no significant running injuries.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The hard lump, pain during night time, inability to bend; all warrant an x-ray or MRI for the evaluation. This may be just;

1) bursitis (inflammation of the bursa which are fluid filled soft tissues around the joints and tendon for the smooth movement) or

2) a big loose body or osteophyte (which indicates degenerative arthritis) or

3) Stress fracture due to osteoporosis.

You need to do following;

1) A complete rest again.

2) Knee brace

3) Continue ice compresses.

4) Anti inflammatory analgesics.

Your primary care physician can get the MRI, if orthopedic appointment cannot be sought earlier.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!