Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am 58 years old and i have a bakers cyst on the back of my

Customer Question

I am 58 years old and i have a bakers cyst on the back of my left knee at night I am woken up with severe aching pain in this leg I have to get up and take pain killers to releive the pain to be able to sleep
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have lived in a caravan for the last 7 years and I because the pain gets worse when I GO OUT SHOPPING, DRIVE A MANUAL CAR, OR WALK for any lenth of time i don't get out very much just shopping once a fortnight
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: my mother had restless leg syndrome for years then she deveoped swollen legs and enlarged veins she had her leg veins stripped she had diabetes she died from a heart condition
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Your symptoms are more suggestive of knee osteoarthritis which can give rise to Baker's cyst (which is a out-pouching of the synovial membrane, which lines the joint for the friction-less movement). Your symptoms are not likely due to varicose veins and restless leg syndrome which your mother had. An advanced arthritis (which usually gives severe pain, night pain, continuous pain) may need total knee replacement. An MRI would be recommended to see the joint changes and determine the exact treatment. Apart from the analgesic you are taking; following would help you, meanwhile;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues like Baker's cyst.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Mild massage

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joints. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joint.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following herbs are suppose to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!