Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have a question. I suffered a concussion in March of 2016

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question. I suffered a concussion in March of 2016 and my headaches have gotten significantly worse so the dr. Put me on Fioricet. The prescription states to take one tablet 3 to 4 Times Daily however just about every other day one tablet just does not seem to work. Is there anything else I can try or should I call my neurologist and explain my situation? Please note I am not addicted to Fioricet as I only take it when I get a really bad headache and I've always had chronic tension headaches but now they've changed and gotten worse after I had my concussion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: I have daily headaches in fact I can't remember a day that I did not have a headache. I do not have any nausea however I've started noticing in the last couple of months that on top of my tension headache I get a really severe headache that starts at the base of my skull and feels like lightning going up to the top of my skull and only my left eye hurts. The only thing I've noticed besides the intense pain is a sensitivity to light
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease October 3rd 2011 and I was also born with cystic fibrosis
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 12 months ago.

Hello!
My name is*****
Welcome to Just Answer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Since when are you having this light sensitivity?

When did you consult doctor last?

How old are you?

Do you have any other past illness?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I usually am woken up by this severe headache on top of the tension headache and when that happens whether it wakes me up or not that's when the light sensitivity starts. I turn off every light in the house and sit in a fetal position just begging for it to go away. I consulted my doctor last month and that's when she prescribe to the Fioricet. I'm 39 years old and I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease October 3rd 2011 and I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when I was 3 or 4 years old
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I would love to speak over the phone however I just paid $25 for this and I can't afford another $67

Thank you for the information.
These symptoms are likely due to post concussion syndrome.
The symptoms of post concussion syndrome can be memory & concentration disturbances, headache, depression, anxiety, irritability, loss of sleep, sensitivity to light & sound etc.
This can occur even when all the tests are normal.
This can start within first week to 10 days.
Usually they goes away after 10 days to 3 months.
But in some cases the symptoms can persists for a longer period, even a year or more.
There can be some structural change in the brain which affects neurotransmission producing the symptoms.
They usually need to wait & observe.
However, as the headache is so intense & limited to one side, I would suggest to take an evaluation by neurologist.
In most cases, symptomatic treatment is necessary.
However, it would be better to have an examination by neurologist.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish your early recovery.
Please rate my answer excellent if you are satisfied with it.
Regards.