Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What is cortical volume loss? no medications, i take

Customer Question
what is cortical volume loss? JA...
what is cortical volume loss?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no medications
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: i take gabapentin & spionolactone
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i had an MRI done and was told that there was no acute findings. But I have had terrible headaches for at least 6 months and I need an explanation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
10/25/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Cortical volume loss means decrease in the volume of the cortex of the brain. The cortex of the brain is a thick layer of nerve cells on the surface of the brain. The nerve cells in this area are mainly responsible for higher mental functions like; memory, attention, awareness, thought, language, and consciousness.

Thinning of the cortical volume is a normal part of aging. But in conditions like Alzheimer's and dementia, increased thinning of the cortical layers can be seen on medical imaging like MRI. In both Alzhemer's and Deentia, there is considerable cortical thinning (cortical volume loss) in both the side of brain. Small cortical loss occurs due to aging in majority of the individuals.

The cortical volume loss is unlikely to cause headache. So your doctor need to find out the other cause for it.

Most headaches are caused by following:

Tension-type headache

Migraine headache

Chronic daily headache

Cluster headache

Chronic daily headache is not a type of headache but frequent headaches of various kinds. Most people with chronic daily headache have migraine or tension-type headache as the underlying type of headache. Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this would be the first to be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache also. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Migraine headaches are the second most common type of primary headache. Cluster headaches are a rare type primary headache.

There are other causes of headache also;

1) sinus headache.

2) Medication overuse headache

3) Post trauma headache; occur after injury or accident.

4) Secondary headache; brain tumor.

Usually a doctor's examination is sufficient to ascertain the cause of headache. But occasionally x-ray of the sinus and CT scan or MRI of the brain may be needed, especially if the headache is persisting for long is worsening and is accompanied by symptoms like vomiting, vision disturbances and imbalance. After the tension headaches commonest headache are migraine. Aura and vision disturbances are absent, many times in migraine. Please read the symptoms of the migraine in this resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/DS00120/DSECTION=symptoms

There are two types of medications used for the treatment of migraine;

1) To abort the attack

Naratriptan

Dopamine antagonists

Rizatriptan

Ergotamine

2) To prevent the headache

Methysergide

Valproic acid, gabapentin

Calcium channel blockers

Beta-blockers, tricyclic antidepressants

There are dietary triggers known which should be avoided. Common triggers are

a) chocolate,

b) aged cheeses and meats,

c) wine and beer

d) citrus fruits.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)