How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17824
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.
Please write your question in detail.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
QUESTION} My breasts have been itchy (no rash) for about 4 months now. It itches with or without a bra on. They itch more when I'm hot and sweaty, but still itch considerably when I'm cool and dry.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No phone call please.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

Are both the breasts itching?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Itching takes place around the Areola, along the base of the breasts, and along the lateral sides of the breasts.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for all the information,
I am sorry for your symptoms.
There can be a few possibilities.
It can be from allergy or dermatitis.
A fungal infection can occur too but it usually causes rash.
You are not getting relief from antifungal creams.
Sometimes, it can be from dry skin.
Hydrocortisone cream can be tried.
You can try Zyrtec or Claritin too.
If you do not see improvement, I would suggest to take an examination by dermatologist.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish your early recovery.
Please rate my answer excellent if you are satisfied with it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I have tried moisturizer. It helps for about 30 minutes, but then the itching persists. I've also tried not wearing a bra for several days (figuring I was having an allergic reaction to the material in my undergarment), and they still itch. Do you think it could still be an allergic reaction?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

Still, it can be from an allergy, dry skin.

You can try hydrocortisone cream for a few days.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I'd rather not be on allergy meds long term. From what I know, hydrocortisone cream only treats the symptoms. Is there something I can do to eliminate this issue rather than accommodate for its symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

To eliminate the problem, you need to take tests like swab, blood count, allergy tests etc.

You can consult a dermatologist.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, do you need referrals for those tests?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

Your doctor can recommend those tests.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess my question is this: do I have to make an appointment with my GP to have dermatologist run those tests, or can I just walk into a derm's office and get those tests done.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

You need to see your GP.

He can then refer you to dermatologist.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I appreciate your help. Could you refer me to a dermatologist in my area so this conversation's fee doesn't go to waste? Otherwise, I'm doubling up on co-pays essentially.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.

Online referral is not valid.

It needs to be taken in person.

You can discuss with your GP for taking tests.

He may do it first & then if necessary, he will refer.