Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a knee that has been painful for quite a while and it

Customer Question

I have a knee that has been painful for quite a while and it now has swelling above and around it. I get a pain that can go right to my buttock up my leg from it also. it gets very stiff.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: No redness, just swelling. nothing in particular that I notice makes it worse but it gets sore if I'm lying in bed and can hurt through the night.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything. The only condition I have is Ulcerative Colitis
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age and gender?

Since when is the swelling and stiffness?

What did your investigations like x-rays and MRI show?

Any treatment done?

It seems that you are offline, so I am writing you an answer. You may ask follow up questions, if you have any. Following are the possibilities;

1) Immunologic arthritis which can occur in people with ulcerative colitis.

2) An injury

3) Age related degenerative arthritis which is also termed as osteoarthritis.

An advanced arthritis (which means severe pain, night pain, continuous pain) would need total knee replacement. This would relieve the pain. Apart from the analgesic; following would help you, meanwhile;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis or any knee pain. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Acupuncture

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joint. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the knee.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following homeopathic remedies are suppose to help;

1) Bryonia
2) Graphites

Following herbs are suppose to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee pain and arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/