How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16324
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A discogenic disease? this info came in a ct lumber wo

Customer Question

a discogenic disease?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: this info came in a ct lumber wo contrast, the only thing the doctors have done is give me different kind of injections in the spine, the shot are not helping anymore.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had several surgeries, including back surgery and bypasses for my heart
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: mother and father had heart troubles, if I can get rid of my back pain everything will be great.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.


Discogenic disease is more commonly called degerative disc disease. However, even that is a misnomer, since all discs degenerate as we age, but not all degenerative discs cause pain. An MRI is the best type of scan to determine exactly what the problem is, far better than a CT scan.

Conservative treatment is physical therapy, injections to reduce inflammation, and pain medication. Depending on exactly where the disease is, facet joint injections or an ablation may be used to help relieve pain. Surgery would be the final step.

If you aren't seeing a neurologist, a referral would likely prove useful to sorting out exactly what the problem is and what can be done about it.

Best regards,



Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 12 months ago.


Did you have additional questions about this?

If not I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way we are credited with answering questions.