A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am having trouble sleeping at night. I tried Nyquil and

Customer Question

I am having trouble sleeping at night. I tried Nyquil and ZZquil and it made me nauseous. Melatonin works to fall asleep but not stay asleep. I tried Xanax and that makes me sleep but makes me feel weird in the morning. I do not want to take prescription meds if I don't have to. What else is there?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

There is nothing to "take" that isn't a prescription sleeping medication.

Have you tried things like not eating for 3 hours before retiring; limiting screen time (TV, tablet, computer, phone) for at least an hour before bed; daily exercise more than 4 hours before sleeping; avoiding any form of caffeine after 3 p.m.?

Did you have further questions about this?

If not, I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way we are credited with answering questions.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have tried all those things. What can I take that's a prescription and non habit forming

There is nothing available by prescription that isn't habit forming.

There are a number of prescription sleep aids, but all lead to dependence: estazolam, eszopiclone, temazepam, zolpidem (extended release). Sleeping medication is designed for short term use only (7-10 days). If someone has chronic insomnia, the cause should be determined so that a cure for the insomnia can be found. This may require a sleep study.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Do you know the cause of your insomnia? If it is anxiety, your primary provider can prescribe medication to take care of the anxiety. Xanax is one, but it isn't usually prescribed for chronic use because it is so habit forming. One of the SSRI drugs is much better for long term use.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~