Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL 155 HDL 38 2pts under LDL 71 TRIGLYCERIDES

Customer Question

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL 155 HDL 38 2pts under LDL 71 TRIGLYCERIDES 228 78 pts over CHOL/HDLC RATION 71 (well within normal limits) BUM/CREAT RATION 31 9pts over UREA NITROGEN (BUN) 34 9pts high ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 33 7pts low Here's my problem: I'm 69. All my life I've had high cholesterol. I am presently on Lipitor 60mg/night. In 2005 my triglycerides were 565 and my cholesterol was 250 with a very bad ldl/hdl ratio. I went on strict Atkins diet and 18 days later my triglycerides were 106, my cholesterol was 198, and the ratio of h/l was competely turned around. That was 11 years ago. Since then I have eaten a diet heavy on protein, and my bloodwork has been good since then. However, over this summer I started eating a mango every day. Yesterday I took a new blood test and the numbers above show the results. All my life, when I eat ANY form of carbohydrates my triglycerieds go up. For a while I was vegan. Every number was good, but the triglycerides went up to over 250. Went back on basically chicken and salad, numbers back down to good. Now, suddenly, not only are my lipids out of whack, but I suddenly seem to either have kidney problems or out of the blue the numbers went up due to my kidneys processing too much protein. I dont know what to do. So my dilemma is if I eat more carbs my lipids go up. If I eat more protein my other numbers (don't know what ther're called). I now have no idea what to be eating. I'm normal height and weight, don't smoke or drink, no drugs. I'm in good physical shape.  Mild arterial blockage notede on cat scan two years ago, 15-25%

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Is it possible for you to send me your report here by attaching it so that I can give you a better opinion.

Thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The question was up a long time, and i didn't think I'd get an answer for liability reasons, so I was surprised to see your reply. I have to look for the report, which I will find in the next day or two and send it to you. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

I would be looking forward.