A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I just found out that I have cardiomegaly with mild central

Customer Question

I just found out that I have cardiomegaly with mild central congestion. What can they do for it
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I just went to urgent care they read my xraysfound this I've been on imdur
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a silent heart attack when I was 24 I'm 55 now
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Yes father had heart attacks my health poor
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

What can be done for cardiomegaly (an enlarged heart) depends on what is causing it. If isn't a disease, but a result of other diseases. For instance, if the cause is hypertension, then medications to control the blood pressure can help. If it is from obesity, then weight loss and exercise can help. It it is coronary artery disease, then controlling high cholesterol can help. Other possible causes are pulmonary hypertension, heart valve disease, disease of the heart muscle itself (cardiomyopathy), thyroid problems, alcohol abuse, prior damage from a heart attack, etc.

Congestion is a common finding in cardiomegaly. It can be from blood collecting in the vessels in the heart from increased pressure, or from inflammation.

The bot***** *****ne is that you need to be under the care of a cardiologist who can determine the cause(s) of the cardiomegaly and plan a course of action depending on findings.

Please let me know what additional information you need about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been under cardiologist for years I just had a 3D ultrast and stress test bout 2 months ago he said everything was fine they only seen the scar from my silent heart attack from yes ago

What has your cardiologist determined is the cause of the cardiomegaly? He or she should be focused on improving the cause. The treatments for cardiomegaly depend completely on the underlying cause.

Medical treatments may include diruretics, ACE inhibitors or angiotension receptor blockers (ARBs), anticoagulants, antiarrhythmics, beta blockers, statins, etc. There are also devices such as ICDs (implantable cardioverter-defibrillator), LVADs (left ventricular assist device), and surgical possibilities (heart valve replacement, coronary bypass, heart transplant). It all depends on what the cause is.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can this be from having a URI? Can this go away? Or does it get worse

No, this isn't caused by having an upper respiratory infection, although a bad infection could make it worse, since the heart is having to work harder. Cardiomegaly can sometimes improve with treatment of the underlying cause, but an enlarged heart is usually due to long term damage.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~