How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17827
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lump on my left leg near the bottom of my calf

Customer Question

I have a lump on my left leg near the bottom of my calf muscle in the back. I have no idea when it arrived, but I noticed it the first time nearly 6 weeks ago. It has red, swollen and has become very painful to the touch. I originally thought maybe I had been bitten by a spider, but now I am starting to worry something else should be wrong. Is it time for a doctor or should I let this resolve itself?
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: 6 weeks? hard to the touch and under the skin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: same leg has been prone to swelling since I had my child 14 years ago. I have varicose veins.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

My name is*****
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

How large is the lump? its shape?

Is it increasing in size?

Did you take any medicine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lump itself is maybe half inch to 3/4 inch and oddly shaped like a hour glass. It seems about the same in size, seems a little warm to the touch, it's red. Recently, it seems to be getting much more tender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see the lump, so the description is how it feels when I touch it.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Please wait.
I am writing your answer.
It can take a couple of minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information,
I am sorry for your symptoms.
There can be an inflammation of underlying structure.
Common one is cyst.
It can occur from infection or from trauma (non infectious) too.
However, as you have varicose veins, an inflammation or clot in the vein needs to be ruled out.
I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.
Doctor can take an ultrasound doppler examination.
You can take motrin or naproxen for pain.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

You are always welcome.
If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.
Best wishes.