How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35783
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a numbess in my lips that moves to my left cheek and

Customer Question

I have a numbess in my lips that moves to my left cheek and back and forth all day.
Also I have sometimes like a swimming water dull feeling in my head
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

One of the most common causes for your symptoms are;

1) Sinus infection termed sinusitis.

2) Rhinitis; nasal inflammation which is commonly due to allergies.

But tooth or gum infections, ulcers in mouth or tongue too may give these symptoms, as had been suggested to you.

If none of these are identified, you need to be investigated for;

1) Diabetes
2) Neuropathy

3) Deficiency of B12

4) Salivary gland inflammation.

You may need following investigations;

1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)

2) MRI of the spine and brain

3) blood glucose, glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin

4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),

5) serum protein electrophoresis

6) Anti-nuclear antibody

7) Lyme testing

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would I go about getting these tests done
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Your GP can get them done.

You may also seek a referral for a neurologist consultation by your GP.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I visited the doctor who said I had acute sinisitis.
She gave me anti-biotics to take and they have got rid of the sore throat, but the numbness and swiming feeling in my head is still there.
How long usually before they go away
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

My initial reply did mention sinusitis as the cause of your symptoms.

The numbness and swimming feeling would likely resolve in 7-10 days.

If it does not, you may further need antibiotics or a minor surgery for the sinusitis.

A positive rating is the only way we are paid for time and expertise.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

There are many sinuses; one of them is ethmoid sinus. Inflammation of it can linger on for long and can give all those symptoms, you had mentioned. Also acid reflux has been seen as culprit for chronic sinusitis. You need to be assessed for that too.