Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have to administer a fleet enema via colostomy for my

friend who is having colostomy...
I have to administer a fleet enema via colostomy for my friend who is having colostomy reversal tomorrow morning. I am not a nurse nor have I ever done this before. Would you be able to help?
She also must take Miralax (1/2 bottle in AM and 1/2 bottle in the evening). They did not specify so I have the powder 238g- do I put that into a pitcher with water or apple juice and have her drink half the pitcher in the AM and the rest in the PM? How much time inbetween? Does she drink it all at once? How close together does she get the enema and Miralax? Any help would be appreciated.
9/8/2016
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

best to use a pitcher, mix the 8.3 oz of Miralax with the 64 oz of Gatorade

gatorade at least has some sodium and electrolytes that she will need since she will be having diarrhea.

in the AM, she can drink drink 1/2 or 32 ounces, 8 ounces every 15 minutes (that will take an hour)

PM can be 3-6pm any time.

after she drinks all of the miralax, she can use the fleet enema into the colostomy.

she will have a lot of fluid and liquid and stool coming out of the colostomy so she will need lots of bags and help emptying the colostomy.

once the bowel is cleaned out and she gets this reversed, she will do better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

best to chill the miralax in the fridge.

use any gadorade or powerade drink which is not red, purple, or orange

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Although, I do not have Gatorade can I use apple juice or yellow lemonade instead? Then enema goes directly into stoma? Thanks again for your help.

I would use applejuice

I would put some salt in the apple juice to help replenish the salt and sodium she will loose

you can use 6-8 teaspoons of salt into 64 oz of applejuice.

yes, the enema goes directly into the stoma.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com