Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I got the follwing blood work results on my son can i give

Customer Question
you some numbers and see...
I got the follwing blood work results on my son can i give you some numbers and see what you think
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: his great breathing issue for long time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: one dr said vdc
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CGFR >60, iRON 186, MO% 9, NE%46, NRBC .10, EO%5,JNJ/MLT DEFICIENT <20 NG/ML. INSUFFICIENT 20 0 <30 NG/ML. SUFFICIENT 30- 100 NG/ML, POTENTIAL TOXICITY >100 NG/ML
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
VITD 40.1
8/22/2016
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 1 year ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to our site and thanks for contacting us. My name is***** and I will try to help you with this once I have some additional information.

How old is your son?

You mention he has had "...his great breathing issue for long time.." Is his breathing "great" or does he have breathing problems? Can you describe the problems he is having? Is this why he went to the doctor?

You said "...one dr said vdc..." What is the meaning of vdc?

I can't make heads nor tails of this with items run together and no units. Also, every lab has references ranges, which are what they consider normal, based on the equipment they use.

Can you please provide the individual readings and reference ranges?

VITD?

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
16, breathing problems, he plays basketball and after 3 or 4 times the court he is out of breathe almose starts chocking, one dr said he had asthma and another vdc. , sorry vcd which means Vocal Cord Dysfunction.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CGFR >60
iRON 186
MO% 9 range 0-1%
NE%46 range 42-72%
NRBC .10 range 0.00-0.20 / 100 wbc
EO%5 range 0-5% last time he had 9%
JNJ/MLT DEFICIENT <20 NG/ML
INSUFFICIENT 20 0 <30 NG/ML
SUFFICIENT 30- 100 NG/ML
POTENTIAL TOXICITY >100 NG/ML
VITD 40.1 RANGE 30.0-100.00 NG/ML
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
iRON 186 RANGE 35-150 UG/DL
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
VITD Vitamin D Deficiency

And why did he have these tests?

I am assuming CGFR is calculated glomerular filtration rate (i.e. cGRF). It is more commonly abbreviated eGRF. It is used to follow someone with kidney problems and is based on serum creatinine level, age, sex, and race. A level of 60 to 89 is considered mild kidney disease.

None of these are standard abbreviations.

NRBC is nucleated red blood cells and the result is within normal range.

MO% is monocyte percent.

NE% is neutrophils percent.

EO% is eosinophils percent.

Monocytes, neutrophils, and eosinophils are three of the five types of white blood cells. The others are basophils and lymphocytes. Since all must add up to 100%, when one or more are high, others must be low to always add up to 100. The absolute level might provide additional information, but the percentages are pretty useless.

JNJ/MLT - I have no idea what this means. I've never run across this in the 20 years I've been practicing. It appears that the level of "whatever" is <20 ng/mL with a normal range of 30-100 ng/mL, so it is too low.

VITD is vitamin D (normally abbreviated Vit. D) and a level of 40.1 is within the normal range of 30-100 ng/mL, although on the lower end of normal.

Vitamin D deficiency is usually evaluated with the 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood test. Normal levels are 20 to 50 ng/mL. A level less than 12 ng/mL indicates vitamin D deficiency with anything between 12 and 20 ng/mL considered borderline deficiency.

Causes of vitamin D deficiency are decreased intake in the diet; limited sunlight exposure; having dark skin; inability to absorb vitamin D from food (due to celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, cystic fibrosis, etc.); the kidneys aren’t able to convert vitamin D to a form that can be used by the body; obesity (a body mass index or BMI greater than 30 often results in low vitamin D levels).

Iron 186 with a normal of 35-150 mcg/dL is on the high side. There are a number of causes of higher than normal iron levels in the blood. It can be caused by higher than normal breakdown of red blood cells in the blood (hemolysis); anemia due to red blood cells being destroyed too quickly by the spleen (hemolytic anemia); hemochromatosis (a genetic condition in which there is too much iron in the blood); liver disease or inflammation, iron poisoning (from toxic levels of iron intake), deficiency of Vitamin B-12 or Vitamin B-6; excessive numbers of blood transfusions.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

What additional questions did you have about this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
need to know what we can do to have him breathe

What troubles is he having with breathing? You said his breathing was "great."

What tests have been done that would help diagnose a breathing problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I said it was great I missed that and was totally wrong, has had a great breathing issue for a long time.
16, breathing problems, he plays basketball and after 3 or 4 times the court he is out of breathe almoststarts chocking, one dr said he had asthma and another vdc. , sorry vcd which means Vocal Cord Dysfunction.

What does/did he take for asthma?

Exercise-induced asthma is quite common and readily treatable.

Has he had spirometry, laryngoscopy, and methacholine challenge tests to diagnose asthma vs voal cord dysfunction?

Treatment for vocal cord dysfuntion typically involves speech therapy, resolving psychological issues, avoiding airway irritants, and deep breathing exercises.

The test results you sent have nothing to do with either diagnosis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
proair hfa 90 mcg inhaler and montelukast sod 10mg, 1 a day but these do not help and has had breathing therapy with his dr

If the Proair isn't helping when he uses it 30 minutes prior to exercise, he may need some more therapy and psychological counseling.

He also needs to be checked for gastric reflux. As many as 95% of young patients have voal reflux in addition to vocal cord dysfunction. He needs to be referred to a speech pathologist and perhaps an ear nose and throat doctor if he hasn't seen one. Usually people are sent to physical therapy for respiratory training.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner