Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I've been getting the most painful cramp on my upper inner

Customer Question

I've been getting the most painful cramp on my upper inner thigh (groin area) that goes all the way down to my knee. It lasts at least 5 plus minutes, if I try to move so does the cramp. What is causing these? They happen in the middle of the night when i'm sleeping.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: someone told me to drink dill pickle juice, does that really make it stop?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a dead thyroid, been taking anti depression pills for 14 yrs now, yes i'm over weight, and yes I drink a lot of diet pepsi.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding these painful cramps:

What is your age & gender?

Since how long do you have these cramps in upper inner thigh?

Are you diagnosed with any medical condition?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The painful cramps you are having on upper inner thigh (groin area) that goes upto knee is very common symptom.The exact cause of these night leg.thigh cramps isn't known.Most common causative factors of such cramp pain are:

-Low potassium levels,
-Muscle overextension
-Dehydration,
-Diabetes,
-Neuro muscular disorders,
-Excessive alcohol,
-Peripheral vascular disease.
-Unknown causes.

Following helps to relieve the night leg cramps:

• Stretch and massage the affected muscle,
  • Apply a cold pack to the affected muscle,
  • Take a hot bath
  • Using a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back,
  • Supplementation with vitamin B12 & gabapentin.Also take potassium supplements

The FDA has now approved ropinirole (Requip) and pramipexole (Mirapex) for the treatment of restless leg syndrome.Electric nerve stimulation, oral magnesium, and acupuncture will also be helpful. So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with your doctor to get the prescription of these medications.Till then follow the above measures & take the supplements as described.This will help yo greatly to get relief from these night leg/thigh cramps.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.How are your cramps now?Have you consulted the doctor?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh