How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16284
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I observed bright red blood in my stool? What type of

Customer Question

I observed bright red blood in my stool? What type of physician should I visit? What procedures are preformed?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 11 months ago.


This is Dr. Bonilla.

You should see a GU doctor. Depending on the initial assessment they can order blood work and a colonoscopy.

Please rate my answer.


Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.


I think that was a typo and Dr. Bonilla meant a GI (gastrointestinal) specialist since this doesn't involve the urinary system (GU = genitourinary). To see where the bright red blood is coming from, the gastroenterologist would probably do a colonoscopy or a sigmoidoscopy.

Best regards,

NP Schuyler


Related Health Questions