A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I've been having a problem with my throat it gets dry and

Customer Question

Hello I've been having a problem with my throat it gets dry and itchy on the right side near or on my voice box . As soon as the itch begins and I cough it begins to make me wheeze and thats just with the fist cough . The itching is very intense I have to try and stop myself coughing . It's terrifying I also have had a horse voice which comes and gos .
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Adele,

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I'll be helping you with this.

How long have you been having the problem?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It started two years ago and I was constantly clearing my throat . An over time it just feels dry but only in one place . If I constantly eat it helps eases things .

Have you seen a doctor for this?

Had an endoscope exam to check for gastric reflux?

What kind of nasal spray have you used?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many times . Yes I have had a endoscope but everything came back normal . I have recently been given avamys.

Since reflux has been ruled out, that leaves allergies/asthma.

With Avamys (a corticosteroid) you should be doing better. Using it twice a day every day generally helps with nasal allergies.

There are other medications that can be prescribed once it is determined that you have these allergies year round and also what it is you are allergic to has been identified. There are oral medications (theophylline), inhaled or nebulizer medications, and

omalizumab (an injection once or twice a month).

If you just get the itching intermittently, your doctor might want to add a short-term inhaled beta agonist such as albuterol. It is only used when you have the extreme itching that leads to the other things.

If you aren't seeing an asthma specialist, that would be the type of practitioner to look for.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have had asthma since the age of seven but have recently been told by a lung specialist that I don't have this problem anymore . I have been give some strong antihistamines as I was concerned it was allergy but it dosent seem to help

That's a puzzle. Did the lung specialist offer an alternative diagnosis when they told you you don't have asthma?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had a lung function test which came back really good there was a nodule on my right lung but it was benign in nature . He gave me ant acids and a nasal spray but nothing seems to be helping . Where as I had a very mucus throat to begin with on the right side which would would get infected every month it now just feels dry

I think that probably isn't the best specialist to see. The problem seems to start with the allergy. An allergist or immunologist is the specialist to see for that. Not all allergies will result in decreased lung function, so a normal lung function test really doesn't tell you much.

Antihistamines will have a side effect of drying out mucus membranes. Does the change from a "wet" throat to a dry one coincide with beginning the antihistamine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's no difference to be honest . The only thing that seems to help is when I eat . But shortly after it begins to feel dry again . I'm not sure if that would give the feeling of something in my throat but that's how it feels when I'm out . I have to be very careful and try to snack on something on the go
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Every now and then there always seems to be a very slight wheeze when I breath in to whether that's due to inflammation I'm not sure .

The wheezing is probably due to inflammation.

If you feel like there is mucus or something else stuck in your throat, there is also the possibility of something we call globus pharyngitis. It can be caused by inflammation or cricopharyngeal spasm. Sometimes it can be a result of an anxiety disorder. AN ENT (ear, nose, throat physician) is the specialist to see for the physical diagnoses.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help bless you ! X

You're so very welcome! My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. I’m always happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me (hopefully a “5”) when you are done.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~