How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5660
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a swollen bump on the upper side of my right buttox

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: i have a swollen bump on the upper side of my right buttox close to my hip
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: like I have a big bruise- its hard and hurts if i touch it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: a few days
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.


Age and gender?

Are you diabetic ?

Are you taking any medications like blood thinners ?

Do you have fever?

Can post a picture here ?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am 39 year old female. I am not diabetic. I recently had a failed IVF trail where I was taking aspirin as well as progesterone shots near swollen area but this was 2 months ago. There is no bruise and if you look at it other than being a bit bigger than other side, you cannot see anything. If i press on it there is a lump that is painful and the area is warmer than the rest of my body. it is giving off heat
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

I guess you have developed a hematoma( collection of blood) which is inflamed now.That is why it is causing pain and it is warm.It can get infected too gradually.

It is better to see your doctor who can confirm the diagnosis and start you on anti inflammatory drugs and antibiotics as well to cover for any infection.If there is a collection it has to be let out.Proper imaging like ultrasound or CT/ MRI have to be done before any procedure.

Warm compress will help reduce the inflammation in the time being.

Motrin/ aleve will help relieve the pain.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have more doubts,, please let me know.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doc - I have a trip abroad tomorrow. Will that be an issue?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.


It is difficult to predict how this swelling will behave in coming days.Only clinical examination by a doctor will shed more light.

Warm compress and anti- inflammatory drugs will help in the mean time.

If it is a short trip then you can go, otherwise see your doctor as early as possible.