How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17824
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is 64 and a heart patient. He is visiting me now

Customer Question

My brother is 64 and a heart patient. He is visiting me now and I noticed a lot of swelling in his right foot and ankle. He is also sleeping any time he sits down. Should I take him to Urgent Care or the ER?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Our father died of a heart attack, but no one else, except my brother has any heart issues. He doesn't live near me, but I believe him to be healthy enough to lead a normal life.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My brother has either 4 or 5 shunts. They were placed approximately 5 years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.
I am sorry for his symptoms.
The swelling of the feet, ankles & leg is likely due to collection of fluid.
There can be a few conditions which can lead to the swelling.
These causes can be diseases of the heart like heart failure, kidney, liver, low blood protein etc.
Other local factors like varicose vein, clot in the vein, venous obstruction needs to be excluded too.
Those usually affect one side.
I would advise to take an examination by doctor in urgent care or ER as you are thinking.
He would need a few tests like doppler ultrasound, EKG, echo, blood metabolic panel etc.
Then treatment can be directed to the cause.
Water pill or diuretic can be prescribed by doctor to reduce the swelling.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.