Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Ears feel like they need to pop and can't hear, 4 days had a

Customer Question
Ears feel like they need...
Ears feel like they need to pop and can't hear
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: 4 days had a heat stroke on last Thursday still very weak
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Been running temp of 103 at night for 4 days until last night and just 100
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any suggestions went to er to check if had menegitis and didn't have all lab came back ok
7/28/2016
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

It sounds that you may have a middle ear infection and it may be severe or in combination with other serious infection such as sinus infection....

Bot***** *****ne --- you REALLY NEED to be CHECKED !!

It sounds that you more likely have a bacterial infection and need antibiotic treatment ...

Without this fever and ears feeling a need to pop sounds that could be more of a simpler problem of Eustacian tube dysfunction ....( tube that helps equalize pressure on both sides of eardrum )

The fever of 103 for several days is concerning in that the source needs to be determined and apprpriately treated

I hope that this information is helpful for you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

When did you go to ER?

Saw that only after posting my reponse above ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last night and all lab came back ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They even did a lumbar puncture and checked fluids and everything was good

Ok did they find anything on physical exam ?

Do you have cough ?

Any pain ? Ear pain? Headache?

Any bites by ticks lately ?

Where do you live ? ( some causes of infections may be regional...)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No couch severe pain in head very bad headache no bites by ticks that we know of Ardmore ok

You have decreased hearing bilateral ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They did a physical exam
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does bilateral mean

What happened with recent heat stroke ?

Decreased hearing right and left ears ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's bad in both ears
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was outside in the hay field for 3 different days in a cab tractor with no air conditioner and it was a 100 degree weather

Did they say anything about your ear exam? Any fluid behind eardrums or infection or retraction of eardrums? Anything like these findings ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No nothing like that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Been down in been for 7 days had 2 bags of fluid on Friday 2 bags of fluid on Sunday and 1 bag last night
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tons of lab work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very active not ever down like this

I see ...and no recent ticks seen on you such as 10 days before fever right ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not at all been to doctor 3 times and er and no answers

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever may cause high fever and severe headache about 10 days later

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What cures this haven't seen any tick bites

It may relate to the heat stroke event it sounds ... Perhaps neurological injury may have hit your hypothalamus and caused problem of temperature regulation.....

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is treated with ten days of Doxycycline ....very available easy antibiotic... I can't say that this was your cause though .....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could this be because of heat stroke

Negative work up at ER is reassuring and that today is down to 100 is less alarming I think ....

Yes that seems to be most reasonable fit at this point ....

I hope that you have been given a break out of work for several days ..rest .. Continue plenty of fluids ....

How is headache today ? Any trouble with great fatigue or nausea ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rotating Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours had a shot of the doxycycline on Sunday and a steroid shot and a pain shot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very fatigue

Shot of Doxycycline good ...they thought of RMSF too it sounds ! Bravo !

I think heat stroke recovery ...yes ... They gave antibiotic too to cover possibility of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever too....

I think continue the Advil and Tylenol but you may gradually space out ..

Watch for any other concerning symptoms and see your doctor if any significant problem emerges ...

You may contact medical faculty to get possibly later results that may not have returned during your visit ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still very bad headache

I see... Rest still as you recover ... Notify doctor if any return now of very high fever > 102 ...

Rest at incline / upper trunk propped up / not flat / may help headache some ...

I think effects of heat stroke ....

They may have sent test also for RMSF and these may be back in more 2 day type time frame ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What other things do we need to do and should I be out in the heat at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are the symptoms for west nir
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just very weak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have any other suggestions

Hello again,

Most people whom contract West Nile virus would only have mild cold symptoms but less than 1 percent can potentially get encephalitis ( diffuse infection of brain ) you would probably have more problems if that were the case as you may have seizures or go into coma with that ...

So I don't think this fits West Nile ( abnormal on LP as well ...)

I think that you need rest and a bit of time before attempt to work in heat ...

Later you would want to take care to take breaks and cool off.. Gatorade available to you in cooler for example ....

I would recommend plan 1 week OFF work and feeling more back to normal before attempt to go back to work...

Heat stroke is serious and dangerous ... You need to take care of your health first .....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still has a bad headache
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing is making headache better

Hello again,

Any fever today?

What is your pulse rate ? Of you have blood pressure cuff it may be helpful to know your blood pressure as well...

You may consider follow up with your primary care doctor today ( I realize that you have already have been to doctor and ER....)

I suspect that the process of you getting so dehydrated >> heat stroke >> then rehydrating --- this may be related to headache ...

I suspect this will take time and added rest ....follow up with your doctor may allow for at least for better pain medication ...

I hope that you feel better soon..m

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

also you don't have blurred vision do you??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
vision is not good

That may be a sign of swelling affecting your brain... I think follow up with your doctor would be best ... This can be rebound effect of the extremes of the heat and dehydration being corrected ....

Having the recent lumbar puncture can also cause ongoing headache although I realize that you had headache and fever when that was done ....

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor