Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My calcium level is 10.7 and my potassium level is 5.9 is…

Customer Question
My calcium level is...

My calcium level is 10.7 and my potassium level is 5.9 is there a relationship with these two

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My new doctor has not been responsive to these levels but I will be meeting with her tomorrow. My problem is that these results are a month old at this point. I have mad an apt with another primary doctor but can't be seen till Aug 22 so I am keeping this one. I am the type that wants info to ask good questions. I am on no medications

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No up till now I have been healthy. My BP last week was 117/70 my cholesterol is perfect

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My dad died of heart attach. At the moment after my research I am experiencing symptoms of parathyroid disorder. Tired, forgetful,disappearing hairline to name a few. But the other thing tat voters my is the potassium level based on the norms I have seen and that anything at 6 or above is dangerous and I am very close

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
7/27/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

Did you take any other test?

Do you take any regular medicine?

How old are you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 54
I did have an ionized calcium of 5.4
I take no medications. I do take a multivitamin and an antioxidant every day

Please wait.
I am writing your answer.
It can take a couple of minutes.

Thank you for all the information,
Your ionized calcium level is within normal range.
High calcium level can be associated with high parathyroid level.
There can be kidney damage from hyperparathyroidism which can be associated with high potassium level.

However, those are usually associated with raised creatinine & urea levels.
I feel your other levels are not abnormal & so doctor was not worried.
Still, you should have follow up with your doctor to pursue the cause.
She can take repeat tests.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you that gives me more to ask about. The other test I will be requesting for a better assessment of hypothyroidism is a PTH level. The possability of kidney damage due to calcium makes sense to me. I will check the other test if done if not I will also request those.

You are always welcome.

Yes.

You can check with your doctor whether those tests have been taken or not.