Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I had 2 breaks in my right ankle, it was operated on and

Customer Question
plate and screws inserted. My...
I had 2 breaks in my right ankle, it was operated on and plate and screws inserted. My plaster was removed yesterday after 5 weeks. I have been told to use a moon boot and put 20% weight on it. Please advise me on the best thing to do at this stage. It is going very dark red and swollen and hot if I even go to the toilet without weigh bearing. It is very painful. I'm am on Panadol 4 hourly. I have been icing it. Is all this all normal? Please give me some reassurance and information on what I am best to do for the next week.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
7/23/2016
Health Professional: Onlinedoc, General Physician replied 1 year ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thank you for your question. It’s my first priority and pleasure to help you.

I understand your concern.

As per your description,it's not normal to have dark discoloration,warm on ankle after 5 weeks..

It takes more than 6 weeks for a broken ankle to heal.

Swelling and pain can persist for a long period of time.

Main concern is dark coloration which shouldn't be ignored.

You should take OTC Advil.

Also elevate your foot.

Use crutches or a walker.

Physical therapy can be further advised for pain management and regaining mobility of joint,

You should see your doctor again for a clinical exam if pain is unbearable along with spreading discoloration and hotness.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Your satisfaction is our goal.
Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thanks.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician