Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My boyfriend took a at home drug test. It showed negative

Customer Question
for opiates and positive for...
My boyfriend took a at home drug test. It showed negative for opiates and positive for oxycodone. Is it because opiates is measuring the codeine methadone levels for heroine? So it is possible for him to test positive for oxycodone because it doesnt measure the same levels?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
7/9/2016
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 1 year ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

The tests supposedly can distinguish between metabolites of the synthetic opioids (i.e. heroin, hydromorphone, hydrocodone, oxycodone, oxymorphone, buprenorphine, fentanyl, and methadone) versus metabolites of true naturally occurring opiates (morphine, codeine, thebaine). These immunoassay kits are subject to false positive and false negative results though. When they are used in a medical setting, any positive has to be confirmed by gas chromatograph and mass spectrophotometer (GC/MS).

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner