Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

My 27 year old sons heart stopped for 45 second while

Customer Question

Hello
My 27 year old sons heart stopped for 45 second while getting blood drawn. He is aware of his fainting during blood draws so he informed the er staff of this. They had monitors on him because he told them of previous episodes. He went in the er because he has chest pains on the right side, possibly from anxiety/stress waiting on medical tests. It has been two weeks since his episode and he is disoriented and and does not feel he is connected anymore. I am having difficulty finding information on the aftermath of cardiac arrest. Is there a normal time frame of recuperation or a link to understanding the after effects of cardiac arrest. He has been advised to get a pacemaker and that is being scheduled. He also seems very agitated.
Thank you for any information.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr.Nitika-a board certified physician. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

As per your description,Possibly it was vasovagal syncope. It occurs when a person faint because the body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.Vasovagal syncope is mediated by a reflex that ultimately leads to a severe drop in blood pressure (hypotension) associated or not with bradycardia. On occasion the heart can stop for a few seconds.

There are multiple causes of syncope including rhythm disorders from the heart due to rapid or very slow heart rhythms.

The treatment in severe cases may include

Inserting an electrical pacemaker to regulate the heartbeat may help some people with vasovagal syncope.

If sudden cardiac arrest lasts more than 8 minutes, survival is rare.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. It's the aftermath I am asking about. It's been two weeks and he is still unable to function only about 25% and feels disconnected. Is there a time frame when he will feel normal again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is going to get a pacemaker, we are waiting for an appointment to do so.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Brain begins to occur after about four minutes without oxygen.

So i do think there may not be a permanent brain damage due to hypoxia.

Probably since he is also suffering from stress/anxiety also so that may be a factor also prolonging the recovery time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the disorientation? is it normal to feel disengaged. He is not depressed or stressed, just disoriented.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is...It has been two weeks since his episode and he is disoriented and and does not feel he is connected anymore. I am having difficulty finding information on the aftermath of cardiac arrest. Is there a normal time frame of recuperation or a link to understanding the after effects of cardiac arrest.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern.

His blood pressure should be monitored as there can be blood pressure fluctuation in his case causing disorientation.

Anxiety,stress,hypoglycemia can be other possible causes.

It can be possible to have some weakness,fatigue few weeks after cardiac arrest in some cases.

He needs to be properly evaluated by a cardiologist to rule out underlying cause of disorientation as well.

And his routine lab work should be done.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Your satisfaction is our goal.
Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thanks.