I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
The blood work, medical imaging and other tests are essential to determine the cause of spleen to swell.
There are many causes of spleen swelling (termed splenomegaly);
1) portal hypertension secondary to liver disease caused by alcoholism, hepatitis,
2) splenic or portal vein thrombosis
3) autoimmune hemolytic anemia,
4) hereditary spherocytosis,
5) thalassemia major,
8) megaloblastic anemia,
9) extramedullary hematopoiesis
10) Epstein-Barr virus,
13) Rocky Mountain spotted fever
22) Gaucher's disease
First the cause of the spleen enlargement would be ascertained by various investigations. Depending on the cause, treatment would vary. Though most of the causes are amenable to the medical treatment (treatable by drugs).
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.