A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have pain in my neck, and tingling sensations in my hand

Customer Question

I have pain in my neck, and tingling sensations in my hand and feet, very tired, and muscle spasms
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: the neck started on sat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: no I had blood work down on monday to see it i was anemic or anything like that
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

Tingling sensations are often from nerve or circulatory problems. There is no way to tell without an examination and some testing. However, tingling in both arms and legs isn't likely to be from compressed spinal nerves.

Muscle spasms can be from overwork of certain muscle groups. Rest, ice and perhaps prescription medication are often the solution.

If you haven't seen a medical provider about these symptoms, you need to. Over the counter pain relievers can help with the discomfort of the muscle spasms, although they can't do anything about the spasming itself.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this sound like something more serious? Is the tingling feeling and tiredness likely associated with the neck pain?

Tingling in the arms and hands can be associated with a compressed nerve in the cervical region (the neck). However, the odds of someone have compressed nerves in both the neck and the lower spine are slim, particularly in someone under 65-70.

Tiredness can be from anything from anemia to vitamin or mineral deficiencies to sleep apnea to anxiety/depression.

Odds are that it is nothing serious.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you recommend someone treat a compressed nerve in the neck? Are there over the counter medications?

No, there aren't over-the counter medications for a compressed nerve. One would need to see a neurologist or orthopedist for xrays to see if the nerve is compressed. Treatment would likely start with physical therapy.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~