A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have a friend who is becoming obsessed with the ideq that

Customer Question

I have a friend who is becoming obsessed with the ideq that there are bugs inside of her. she says they are morgellans and it is a pathogen , not really bugs but looks like bug and sure enough whens she is able to pull the things out of a wound on her forehead and i look with a magnifier and it doe\s indeed look like a bug or a nanotechnological little construction worker ,that burros into her skin and they are in her sinus cavities as welland and other places too - i wanted to think she was losing her mind but i see them too, and she showed me various things on the morgellans on the interneet an u -tube and i do not understand , if these bugs or what ever are on every person and are everywhere in food and etc, how come it not being addressed in any official way why wont any parasitologist even take a look , when shown samples they want to psych med the person presenting - its like they know and have been threatened not to say-- so you know anything about this ??? it is not nut-job conspiracy bullcrap--- i wouldnt acknowledge or even look at and evidence a first either -it just seems so absure - simple answer is the person saying this stuff has lost their mind....tweekers always think they feel bugs under their skin when they nave overdosed and are halucinating--- that is not what this is?!?!?!?!? i see them too , they are real and seem to be alive , and seem to have a "hive" mentality. i don't get it are they alien ?? or some plague man has accidentally unleashed upon himself or on purpose??? i am actually scared to provide photos or Any evidence
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr K replied 1 year ago.

Morgellons disease is a delusional disorder in which people think they are infested but are not. Morgellans are a gram negative bacteria that rarely cause illness They are present in the gastrointestional tract of most people as normal bacteria but not on the skin. They are normal flora and do not cause illness. Your friend has a serious psychiatric problem. I am sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a pretty standard response, and it amazes me tht a professional person would not at least consider looking at evidence itf it were available ...and I suppose the rationale is that it is counter productive the humor the lunatic - because then they will start to expect it? It is absolutely shocking to me that not one person will even consider taking this seriously **for even one moment,or be open minded enough to even consider any other diagnosis than straight-jacket. There is video , nmade with her cell phone of her coughing up something like a pupae shaped slug like thing and it was most definitely alive and crawled around in the sink for 40 minutes or so until it expired... and i am not a raving lunatic -- how do you account for my seeing and believing this as well, stockholm syndrome like thing --sympathetic predisposition and something like hypnotized or something alont=g those lines. This is very real. and i bought a microscope to look at these things a bit closer and better , and it is very disturbing....then on the internet you tube the one titled morgellans explained very scary stuff? So is there someone there a little bit more apt to answer this question differenty than with just an open and shut - she's nuts, and one more thing to think about, you are saying serious mental problem, think about it for a moment - if it were not a serious mental problem and it was anything like is being explained,,, very soon if not immediately this --were it actually happening and no one would listen or believe you -- would quickly include a severe mental condition.. by now she is very sensitive about the whole thing and wont even speak to or deal with anyone who prejudges or refuses to open their mind...if it is a mental problem - i have it also , and it is going to be nearly impossible to get her to think of this in those terms and i am afraid to broach that subject - i am one of her few friends - she may become suicidal...
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Your friend is going to have to show these "bugs" to her medical provider so they can determine what they are. That's really all that it should take. Microscopic examination should set the record straight once and for all. If she doesn't trust her primary provider for this, then she should consult with an infectious disease specialist.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~