DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

About 2 months ago, I took Albendazole and pinworms. The

Customer Question

About 2 months ago, I took Albendazole for hookworm and pinworms. The pinworms came back so I just took another Albendazole prescribed by my PCP. I have tried unsuccessfully to get a referral to an infectious disease doctor. No parasites or ova showed up in the stool testing. I do not know if the hookworms are gone. After taking the pills last night, I had a lot of discharge from my eyes and nose. Any thoughts?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: I have been dealing with this for about 3 months, but I think I have had the pinworms for a long time. I just thought all that itching was candida or hemorrhoids. I had a cyst on my eyelid for a couple of years but did not think it was a problem. After my first albendazole about 2 months ago, I saw and felt the worm in my eyelid.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Before dealing with these parasites, I had about 9 months of very low energy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Pinworms are not hook worms.

Neither one would have anything to do with the eyes.

Hookworm is about non existent in the US now.

I would simply repeat 3 stool samples if you are concerned.

If those are negative....no parasites.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Nothing.

Please click a positive

Top of the page.

Find me anytime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that hookworms are not common in the U.S. I probably contracted it in Costa Rica. I definitely had a cyst on my eyelid. I will repeat stool samples. Thank you.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome anytime.

any questions.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/