How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35062
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 29 years old over the past 7 years I have developed a

Customer Question

I am 29 years old over the past 7 years I have developed a sweating problem. At first it was linked to anxiety, I have tried every medication with no relief. Botox helped slightly with topical antiperspirant. Tried anti depressants, SSNRI, benzodiazepines and anti cholnergics beta blockers you name it.
I can't do house hold chores without drenching my clothing. I drench my seat when I go to school. I can sweat nonstop for hours.
It's embarrassing and terrible for my health bc I don't want to move bc of sweat and the exhaustion it causes.
What can I do? Is there a test or treatment I should look into?
Just completed a basic blood panel and everything was normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been off and on the pill for 10 years and haven't had any hormonal issues.I don't believe it's anxiety anymore because it's now happening in the comfort of my own home. When everything is fine.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The excessive sweating in various areas of the body is considered as primary hyperhidrosis (hyper is increased and hidrosis is sweating or water), as there is no cause except the sweat gland in the skin are increased in size and they respond excessively to body's hormones (increased cholinergic sympathetic stimulation of the sweat glands). This is likely to be idiopathic hyperhidrosis. Idiopathic means; cause not known or not ascertainable. A dysfunction of the central sympathetic nervous system, possibly of hypothalamic nuclei, or prefrontal areas or their connections is suspected. But before going for any definite treatment it is ideal to check the adrenal and thyroid gland in, to rule out any abnormality, as this can secondarily cause excessive sweating. Your internal medicine specialist or primary care physician would be able to get it done.

Following is the treatment protocol;

1) dietary restriction of coffee, tea, cola soft drinks, and chocolate.

2) application of aluminum chloride hexahydrate or zirconyl chloride in absolute alcohol

3) iontophoresis, done by dermatologists in their office. Iontophoresis, the topical introduction of ionized medications into the skin using direct current, can be quite effective with hyperhidrosis. Iontophoresis is generally used for palms/soles hyperhidrosis.

4) medications like atropine, propranolol

5) Botox injection

6) Alternative therapies; St. John's wort, hyssop, sage, and black walnut bark can be brewed into a tea.

7) Surgery; results are good for the perspiration but cosmetically not acceptable due to scarring of the skin.

Hyperhidrosis need investigations for following, so you may discuss this with your doctor as he may consider investigations for these, iff there is any clinical suspicion:

1) pheochromocytoma,

2) thyrotoxicosis,

3) diabetes mellitus,

4) diabetes insipidus,

5) hypopituitarism,

6) anxiety,

7) carcinoid syndrome.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if I can help you further.