How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheGermDoctor Your Own Question
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1747
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
Type Your Health Question Here...
TheGermDoctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sgot level is 59. what does that mean? none. just got the

Customer Question

my sgot level is 59. what does that mean?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: none. just got the lab result
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: have pernicious anemia
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 1 year ago.

That is one of the "liver enzymes" and is elevated about 30-50%- not a huge amount but elevated nonetheless.

Lots can cause this abnormality- drinking alcohol, a "fatty" liver if you are overweight, many different medications- including acetaminophen or prescription drugs, viral hepatitis ( Hepatitis B and C ), another inflammatory condition affecting the liver, or even iron overload if you have needed lots of transfusions for your anemia.

It does need further work up by a doctor to assess which of these causes it is. And probably an Ultrasound of the liver or a CT scan to make sure there is no abnormality ( blockage/ gall stone/ tumor etc) causing this.

See your doctor and they shouldget to the bottom of it, or refer you to a Gastroenterologist.

Good luck and please rate the reply

Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 1 year ago.

please let me know if you have further questions

Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 1 year ago.

Did the above answer your question?